HISTORY OF ALLEN PARISH CORRECTIONAL CENTER
The Allen Parish Jail was established in 1913 at the location which is now known as the “White House” which is now retired. The newer facility, which was put into service in 1966, houses the inmates for the parish is attached to the rear of the Allen Parish Courthouse. This design was instituted due to the fact that the correction center has access to bring prisoners directly from the jail into the courthouse through an entrance on the third floor of the correction center. This design was considered effective because the inmates had no access to the outside of the correction facility other than the exercise yard, and the level of security required to take prisoners from jail to court is considerably less. Inmates that were housed at the old jail (White House) had to be brought outside and then walked from the facility to the courthouse, there was considerable risk to the deputies and inmates. The deputies had to be on the lookout for anyone who wished to do harm to them or the inmate. The inmates were at risk that if someone wished to harm them they were in the open and the other factor was that the inmate had ample room and opportunity to try and escape if he or she could.
At present our corrections facility is able to house 41 prisoners or offenders, due to the fact that we have more than the facility can hold we contract other facilities in other parishes to house approximately 45 additional inmates.